Monday, January 24, 2011

Chris's Oldsmobile F-85 - Part One

It all started from a phone call from my friend David, he asked if I wanted to bye all his Olds stuff. He was getting into Jeep's and had to make some room. At the time I had a 71 Olds 442 convertible and loved Oldsmobiles, so I thought it would be a good opportunity. We talked some numbers and I hooked up my trailer and my son and I headed for Columbus, Ohio. Once we got home, I had a 70 442 body, 3 455 engs, 2 trans, ram air hood and multiply boxes of parts.
As it turned out, the body had much rust than originally thought. So much in fact that it was decided to scrap the body, that's a lot of rust! Well, the hunt was on to find a better body. My friend Jim, who owns Classic Olds ( In Hickory at the time, but since has moved to Clemons,NC ) had a 70 F85 post car. This car was a 6 cylinder bench seat car, but very little rust. The usual spots behind the front tires, but that was it. The car had virtually no trim, so know where for water to hide. A deal was made and the F 85 had a new home. Jim had bought the car from the original owner who purchased the car from the Olds dealer in Hickory.
Once the car was back in Va, the work began. I had thought from the start this will be a good father-son project, and it was! 

1 comment:

  1. I've seen the outcome of this project and the car rocks! Way to go Captain. Now would be a good time to start a Firebird rebuild; I know where you can start.....

    Cheers,
    Clutch

    ReplyDelete